Who We Support
Meet the first charity we have partnered with to donate our profits to - the Gibbon Conservation Society (GCS)!
GCS is an NGO (non-government organisation) that focuses on conserving wild Gibbon populations in Malaysia. Gibbons are a species of ape that can be found only in South East Asia. The GCS team rescue Gibbons that have been taken from the wild and sold into the pet trade in Malaysia. They then rehabilitate these beautiful primates so that they can be released back into the wild where they belong. Watch the short video below!
Gibbons are agile, acrobatic and vocal apes that are not meant to be owned by humans and kept as "pets". They are bought as pets because they are cute. Once captured, baby gibbons often die from mistreatment and incorrect care, or become too big and boisterous for the "owners" to handle. When this happens, or when they are ceased by authorities, they get taken in by GCS and go to their Gibbon Rehabilitation Project (GReP), no matter what condition they are in.
Some key facts:
- For each baby gibbon sold into the pet trade, an estimated 10 die in the process
- It is illegal to have gibbons as pets in Malaysia, but it is still happening
- Wild gibbon populations are decreasing due to the pet trade and loss of habitat (through deforestation)
- They are classified as endangered on the IUCN Redlist
- Gibbons are the fastest species of primate, moving through the trees at upto 35mph!
- They have the longest arms of all primates (relative to their bodies)
These majestic apes are the victims of human selfishness and desire. The team at GCS have an incredible approach to rehabilitating gibbons and have one singular objective: releasing them back into the wild.
We are delighted and honoured to be able to support them in the work they do.
Find out more and donate at www.gibbonconservationsociety.org
Photo credit: Stephanie Theresa / Infinim Creative Productions. All photos are from Gibbon Conservation Society.
Video credit: CNA Insider